In this blog post I will show you the migration process for your on-premise ShareFile Storage Zone controller including the move of the file share to a new server. There will a downtime of the ShareFile service during the migration of the files to the new share. The downtime will depend on the size of your ShareFile data repository.
This environment consists of the following servers:
ShareFile-01.lab.local –> Windows Server 2008 R2 (Productive)
ShareFile-02.lab.local –> Windows Server 2016 (New Storage Zone)
- Fresh Windows Server with installed “Web Server (IIS)” role. Add the features “ASP.NET 4.5”, “Basic Authentication” and “Windows Authentication”.
- Installed SSL certificate , which is matching the FQDN of your external ShareFile address
- Setup for the Citrix Storage Zone Controller – Download
- Credentials for the ShareFile service user account
- ShareFile Passphrase
Prepare the Firewall
- Edit the firewall rule that the NetScaler SNIP can communicate with the new Storage Zone controller (HTTPS – 443)
Prepare the Citrix NetScaler
- Add the new Storage Zone Controller to your ShareFile Service Group
- Verify that the “Effective State” is UP for both services of the service group.
Upgrade the productive Storage Zone Controller
Before we can start joining the new storage zone controller (ShareFile-02.lab.local) to the exisiting zone we need to update the current server (ShareFile-01.lab.local) to the newest version.
- Take a Snapshot of the VM.
- Backup the file “SCKeys.txt”, which is located in the root directory of your ShareFile data share. If you loose this file you can not edit the configuration of the current storage zone or even join new contollers. Keep it safe 🙂
- Run the downloaded “StorageCenter_5.x.x.xxxx.msi” and follow the wizard.
- Reboot the server.
- Verify in the external ShareFile panel that the Storage Zone is still working properly and upload a test file just to be sure the upgrade went well.
Move the ShareFile data to a new FileShare
Before we start moving the ShareFile data to the new file share we are going to disable the ShareFile LB vServers on the Citrix NetScaler. Here starts the official downtime.
1. Disable the ShareFile LB vServers on Citrix NetScaler.
2. Create an UNC-Share for the ShareFile data.
Important: The share will get overwritten with a default folder structure while changing the network share location. Make sure you don’t loose any data!
3. Edit the NTFS permissions (Full Control) for the ShareFile service account.
4 . Login to the ShareFile Control Panel on “ShareFile-01.lab.local” and modify the “Network Share Location”.
4. Now open the new UNC-Share in Windows Explorer and you should see the default file structure.
5. Open a command line and copy the production files to your new StorageZone share.
robocopy \\ShareFile-01.lab.local\ShareFile$ \\ShareFile-02.lab.local\ShareFile$ /MIR /r:3 /V
6. Enable the ShareFile LB vServers on Citrix NetScaler
7. Verify in the external ShareFile panel that the Storage Zone is working properly. In addition login with a test user and check if the migration was succesfull.
Join the Storage Controller to the Zone
Now its time to join the new server to the storage zone.
1. Run the downloaded “StorageCenter_5.x.x.xxxx.msi” and follow the wizard to install the Storage Zone components on ShareFile-02.lab.local.
2. Reboot the server.
3. Login to the ShareFile Control Panel and join the server to the exisiting zone. You will need to enter the passphrase you configured during the initial deployment.
4. Verify in the external ShareFile panel that both Storage Zone Controllers are working properly and upload a test file.
Demote the old Storage Zone Controller
At this stage both Storage Zone Controllers are running in the zone and its time to demote the old server “ShareFile-01.lab.local”.
1. Open the registry editor on “ShareFile-01.lab.local”.
2. Goto “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Citrix\StorageCenter”
3. Set the REG_SZ “isPrimaryConfigServer” to “false”.
4. Change the “PrimaryConfigServiceUrl” to –> http://ShareFile-02.lab.local/ConfigService/
5. Restart the IIS service.
6. Open the registry editor on “ShareFile-02.lab.local”.
7. Goto “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Citrix\StorageCenter”
8. Set the REG_SZ “isPrimaryConfigServer” to “true”.
9. Change the “PrimaryConfigServiceUrl” to –> http://localhost/ConfigService/
10. Restart the IIS service.
11. Verify in the external ShareFile panel that both Storage Zone Controllers are working properly and upload a test file.
Delete the old Storage Zone from the Share File Panel
1. In the ShareFile panel click on “Admin” and select your StorageZone.
2. Select the Storage Zone controller you want to remove –> “ShareFile-01.lab.local”
3. Delete the Storage Zone “ShareFile-01.lab.local”.
4. Shutdown the VM “ShareFile-01.lab.local”.
5. Remove the Server “ShareFile-01.lab.local” from the ShareFile Service Group on the NetScaler.